Prenatal Education -
Whether you are a first time mom or you want a refresher course, the Women's Center offers several options for expectant families. All classes are held in the Prenatal Education Classroom located on the first floor of the Women's Center. To register for prenatal classes, please click here. Class offerings include:
- Child birthing class - To help prepare for labor, delivery and postpartum care
- Weekend child birthing class - Obtain complete information about planning your birthing experience in one Saturday, and automatically enroll in the optional classes for Infant CPR and Breast Feeding.
- Sibling class - Helps "big brother/big sister" prepare for a new baby and what to expect when they come to see mommy in the hospital.
- Infant CPR and safety
Lactation Center -
The Lactation Center is located on the first floor of the Women's Center near the Women's Center gift shop. Two certified lactation specialists are on staff and make daily visits to mothers who have chosen to breastfeed. Services included at the Lactation Center are:
- Consultations with a certified lactation consultant during and after your stay at the hospital
- Breastfeeding Helpline (205-620-8262)
- Mother's Support Group
- Breast Pumps available for purchase
- Helpful Accessories and Items for Breastfeeding and Pumping
- Educational Materials
Controlled Access Policy -
The birth of a child is a joyous occasion and we are honored to share in your excitement of this special event. While at Shelby Baptist, our staff shares with you the responsibility of protecting your infant. As part of our infant protection system, the Women's Center has controlled access. While you are a patient in the Women's Center, your family and visitors should enter the patient care area through the Women's Center elevators. For direct access to these elevators, please park on Level C of the north parking deck. All visitor traffic should use the first floor hallway when visiting the main hospital and cafeteria. The hallway on the second floor of the hospital is no longer a public hallway and should only be utilized by Women's Center staff members.
Please help us by educating your family and friends about this infant protection policy. These policies are not meant to inconvenience visitors in any way, only to make sure we are doing our part by controlling public traffic through the Women's Center.